Interpreting BJJ

Elaborating my last post …
I like to teach in a way that is not open to mis-interpretation. A part of this stems from my dislike of ‘vague advice’. An example that springs to mind is the roadside sign AVOID WINDSCREEN DAMAGE …. I can’t stand this. Vague! It is a statement of the bloody obvious but doesn’t tell me HOW to go about achieving the desired outcome. Stupid in the extreme! (in my opinion)
I like to tell people EXACTLY how to achieve something - not ‘kind of’ how to achieve something. This is kind of arrogant in a way I guess … but it’s my thing; driven largely by my need to see measurable results!
On the flip side of things - you can see what I call Impressionistic Teaching. This is where the ‘feeling’ or direction and shape’ of a technique is described - and the step-by-step execution is left wide open for interpretation. It isn’t how I like to teach - but it is, nevertheless, a valid way to teach. The downside is that the more unskilled and less experienced can be left scratching their heads without ever having left the starting blocks - but the upside is that you are forced to think (and interpret) for yourself. 
In my view - the best idea is start with a forensic approach (as is my won’t) and once experience is gained - re-look at the idea or technique through an impressionistic lens. 
Just my two cents …
JBW

Comments

Popular Posts